Thursday 2 September 2010

Welcome one and all and why "The Silent Shutter"?

So here we are with my new photography blog - thanks for stopping by.


I'll explain more about myself and my own deep passion for photography later on, but for now it's enough to say that I'm starting this blog as a stimulus for my own creativity with a passing thought that it may interest others and in doing so provide them with ideas for the development of their own work.


So why the title "The Silent Shutter"?  I'm sure this is stating the obvious for many of you but for those who haven't guessed it yet, it is thinly veiled metaphor to the workings of the eye, or the eyelid in particular, using the photographic term "Shutter".


This has come about because in the last week or two I have had a bit of a reawakening in photographic terms (in particular in terms of street photography - more about this later on) and it has really made me think about the way that the eye works in noticing the arrangement of subjects in front of it before we even lift the viewfinder to frame the scene.  In other words, in the snap of our own shutter the moment can be gone if we hesitate too long.


Of course I know the existing photographers among you will already know what I am talking about and make your own references to Henri Cartier-Bresson's "Decisive moment".  If not, I urge you to look him up and read how he felt that this phrase described "the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as the precise organization of forms which gives that event its proper expression"  which most definitely is a phrase that I agree with. 


Luck or craft?  Cartier-Bresson's 'Decisive moment'


Anyway, look him up if you haven't already and muse on his genius (or not, if that is your opinion) for a while before my next entry, all about my recent trials and tribulations while trying my hand at street photography. 


Meanwhile, here's a taster of one of my own attempts at catching the moment, albeit on perhaps a lesser scale than the man who coined the phrase.


Hoodies need love too





No comments:

Post a Comment