Friday 3 September 2010

A 50mm lens and the subtle movements of Horses

Horses are a truly magnificent subject for the camera, and with this in mind, on a complete whim last weekend I decided I wanted to have a go myself in capturing their stunning beauty.  

But how?  The only place where I had immediate access to horses was my local farm and the potholed field they lived in was hardly suited to the kind of windswept white mare on a beach shot I had in mind (hmmm .. personally I blame the Guiness adverts).

However as I trundled up on that overcast day with my eager child serving as bait - carrying a bag of cut apples of course - the way they were flicking their heads at our approach provided me with an idea - if I was to get in close and exclude the grotty setting entirely, perhaps then I could focus on the beauty of the creatures, and what better way than by setting a wide aperture of f1.8 to truly vignette their magnificent detail in all its glory.


So without further ado, here are the results.   Let me know what you think.










For those who are interested in seeing more of this set, you are welcome to check out my DP Challenge portfolio by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment